Project impacts can be bulk edited in excel through the use of Fluid Bulk Edit functionality.
In this article, you will learn:
✔ how to access the bulk edit functionality.
✔ the steps to update the project impacts.
✔ the rules that are applied when you upload updates to the projects impacts.
How to access the Project Impacts Bulk Edit Functionality?
The Projects Impacts Bulk Edit functionality is available from:
- Project Dashboard/Watchlist pages. Bulk Edit will export only those projects that are in your filtered view, so make sure the filters applied include all the projects you need to edit!
- The Project Workspace.
Accessing Bulk Edit from Project Dashboard/Watchlist
To access Bulk Edit from a dashboard, select Tools (top right of the page) and select Bulk Edit.
Accessing Bulk Edit from Project Workspace
The Bulk Edit function can also be accessed from the project workspace page by selecting the Bulk Edit option (under the Tools section) on the left navigation menu.
Steps to update project impacts
Step 1: Download the data file
- Select Project Impacts on the left of the Bulk Edit dialog
- If you want to download existing data from the project/s into the file make sure the flag is set to Yes. To extract a blank upload file, set it to No.
- Click on DOWNLOAD.
Step 2: Edit the data file
Make your required changes to the file that you downloaded.
The format of the excel file will vary depending on whether the file was downloaded from a watchlist page or a project workspace.
See the table at the bottom of this page for a full description of each column.
Step 3: Upload the data file
When you are happy with your changes, select UPLOAD in the Bulk Edit dialog and select the file you want to upload.
The progress bar will indicate when the upload process is completed and if any errors occurred during the upload process, they will be listed below the progress bar.
Impacts upload rules
You can find the description of the file format in the next section but here are the rules that need to be applied in order to successfully create or update project impacts.
Creating new impact records
- The bulk edit functionality makes it very easy to create new project impacts in bulk.
- The impact Title is the only field that is mandatory to create a new impact record.
- If the project impacts are being created from a project watchlist page:
- You can only create impact records for projects you have edit rights for, i.e. you must be either a project administrator or the PM or editor of the project.
- Either the project reference or project ID of the project the impact applies to must be specified. The project reference value is used first to uniquely identify the project. If this fails then the project ID value is used to retrieve the project to be updated. If both project reference and project ID are incorrect, then the row is skipped.
Updating an impact record
- The bulk edit functionality can also be used to update project impact properties.
- To update existing impact records, it is recommended to download the Impacts file, make the necessary changes in the excel file and upload the amended file.
- The impact title must be specified for a row to be processed.
- The Id or Guid of the impact being updated must also be specified
- If the row being updated has a value for the Id and/or Guid column (column A and V if the bulk edit is accessed from a project workspace or column D and Y if accessed from a project watchlist), the upload process first uses the impact Id value to retrieve the record to be updated. If no Id value Id is specified or if the Id is incorrect, then the Guid value is used to retrieve the impact record. If no record is found but a GUID value is specified, then a record with this Guid value will be created.
- If the impact records are being updated from a project watchlist page:
- You can only update impact records for projects you have edit rights for, i.e. you must be either a project administrator or the PM or editor of the project.
- Either the project reference or project ID of the project the impact record applies to must be specified. The project reference value is used first to uniquely identify the project. If this fails then the project ID value is used to retrieve the project to be updated. If both project reference and project ID are incorrect, then the row is skipped.
- The upload process then uses the Id or Guid column values to retrieve the task within the project (as described earlier). If no impact records are found, then the row will be skipped.
It is important to note that the file being uploaded does not need to contain all impact records created for a project. Only the records listed in the upload file will be updated, all other records will remain unchanged.
Data File Column Description
|Remember when populating the excel:|
What happens if the field is left blank when uploading the file?
|The below three columns are only present if the bulk edit functionality is accessed from a project watchlist.|
The file must contain a value in the ProjectID column or Project Ref column to uniquely identify the project to be updated. If no values are set or if they are incorrect, the row will be skipped. In addition the user uploading the file must have rights to edit the project.
|Project||The project name or title.||This field is for information only and is not used by the upload process.|
|ProjectId||The project unique ID in Fluid.||If ProjectRef is blank too or if there are no projects in the database matching the ProjectRef value, then the row will be skipped.|
|ProjectRef||The project external reference.||If ProjectId is blank too or if there are no projects in the database matching the ProjectId value, then the row will be skipped.|
|The below columns are always present regardless from where the bulk edit functionality is accessed.|
|Id||Fluid unique ID for the impact item in Fluid. If EDITING EXISTING impact records, do NOT change this field.|
Leave the field blank if you want to add a new impact record.
|The record will be added as a new entry if the Guid column value is blank too.|
|ShortId||Unique identifier for the impact record.||Identifier is auto-defined according to the short code defined under project settings.|
|Title||The title of the project impact.||This is the only mandatory field to complete in order to add a new project impact. The value is also required when updating an existing record.|
|Type||The type of the impact record. The possible values are: Change, Dependency, Issue, Lessons Learned, Relationship or Risk. If any other value is specified, then the type will be set to Risk.||The impact record type will be set to Risk.|
|SubType||The impact subtype. The possible values differ based on the impact type:|
The row will be skipped if the subtype value is not valid for the impact type
|The field will be left blank.|
|Description||Include a detailed description of the impact entry if required.||The field will be left blank.|
|Status||The status of the Impact – Open or Closed. If any other value is specified, then the status will be set to Open.||The status will default to Open.|
|Impact||The severity of the Impact – High, Medium or Low. If any other value is specified, then the status will be set to Medium.||The impact will default to Medium.|
|Probability||The likelihood of the impact occurring – High, Medium or Low. If any other value is specified, then the status will be set to Medium.||The item will default to Medium.|
|DueDate||The date the Impact needs to be resolved.|
If an invalid date is specified in the file being uploaded, then the row will be skipped.
|The due date will be left blank.|
|ResolutionDate||Alternate resolution date if different to the due date.|
If an invalid date is specified in the file being uploaded, then the row will be skipped.
|No resolution date will be set for the entry.|
|RAGStatus||The RAG status of the entry - specify between Red, Amber or Green. If any other value is specified, then the RAG status will be set to Green.||The RAG status will be set to Green.|
|Commentary||A brief descriptive reason of the RAG status value. This value is mandatory if the RAG status has been set to Red or Amber.||The commentary will be left blank.|
|StatusDate||The date of the RAG status entry.||Fluid will default to the date of upload.|
|Owner||The owner of the impact.||It is not necessary to populate this column on upload. |
Owners full names are included in extracts to help you better identify who owns the item - because the Owner ID (which is the proper identifier) can be cryptic!
|OwnerId||The username of the owners (visible in Fluid in brackets after a persons name when you search on them).||This is the unique identifier Fluid will use to set the assignees - if this field is left blank, no owners will be added to the item.|
|Mitigation||The description of the actions to be taken to mitigate the impact on the project.||The field will be left blank.|
|DependentOn||The name of the project the impact is dependent on.||The field will be left blank.|
|DependentOnId||The Fluid ID of the project the impact is dependent on.||The field will be left blank.|
|DependentOnRef||The external reference of the project the impact is dependent on.||The field will be left blank.|
|Promoted||You can specify for each entry how far up the hierarchy it should be reported. Select from NotPromoted (impact entry will not be reported anywhere), ToDashboard (the impact entry will be reported on the project dashboard), Parent (if the project is a sub-project the entry will be reported up to the parent) and Program (if the project belongs to a program the entry will be reported up to the Program dashboards).|
If any other value is specified, then the Promoted flag will be set to ToDashboard.
|The promoted flag will default to ToDashboard.|
|Guid||Fluid Global Unique Identifier for the impact record. If EDITING existing entries do NOT change this field.|
Leave the field blank if you want to add a record as a new entry.
|The record will be added as a new entry if the Id column value is blank too.|
|Impact custom properties||If custom properties for impact records have been set by your system administrator, there will be a column for each custom property that has been set to Reportable.||The properties will be left blank.|
|DeleteRecord||Enter Yes if you want the delete the impact record. The record Id or Guid must not be empty.||Fluid will not delete any entry.|